Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS indicated they received my 1040X form - tax period Dec 31, 2021 but can’t find the return. Never sent a 1040X for 2021, only for 2020. What is the issue?

The payment amount reported by the IRS matched the amount I calculated that I owed when submitting an amended 2020 tax year 1040x - this action was done 4/17/2022. But I never submitted a 2021 tax year amended form. So I am not sure what they are trying to convey when they claim they received it but now can’t find it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

IRS indicated they received my 1040X form - tax period Dec 31, 2021 but can’t find the return. Never sent a 1040X for 2021, only for 2020. What is the issue?

It could be that you have more than one account under your Email address.

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account and select Continue on the screen showing your prior-year summary. Make sure you're using the same TurboTax account (user ID) as in prior years.
  2. On the second screen showing product and pricing, scroll down and select Your tax returns & documents.
  3. Select the year you want, then select Download/print return (PDF).

Here's more info on How to Access a Prior Year Return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks Marilyn for your response. I realize possibly my question wasn’t phrased clearly.  It’s not that I can’t find my amended tax form from TurboTax, it’s that I never actually filed a an amended form and yet the IRS is inaccurately saying they received one and simply can’t find it.

In 4-17-2022 I mailed out an amended 2020 form only so I don’t understand why they are asking about the 2021 tax period. For added context if it helps, I needed a correction because I over contributed to a Roth IRA and had to take out an early distribution and there was a tax penalty associated with it.

Hi @MarilynG1 wanted to follow up if you had anymore insight on this that can be helpful.

Thank you for your time.

KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

There are a couple of possibilities: 

1. You filed an amendment for TY2021 but do not remember it or filed it without realizing it. One way to find out is to check under your Account. Here are the steps. You can also check using the IRS Where's My Amended return website. 

2. It's not very likely but maybe the IRS meant to ask for the tax year 2020. After you check the above, and if you do not find the amended return, I would suggest calling the number on the notice you received. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies