Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jennyn18

I'm a single mother but not sure if i can claim an eligible dependant since my refund credit went up to $3k. i'm skeptical please help?

1 Reply

I'm a single mother but not sure if i can claim an eligible dependant since my refund credit went up to $3k. i'm skeptical please help?

The answer is yes. You are able to claim an amount of an eligible dependant which is a Non-Refundable Tax Credit if you are not claiming the spouse/common-law partner credit and are responsible for the financial care of a relative.

Your dependant could be your parent or grandparent, or your child under the age of 18.

However,  the dependant's income must be less than the current year’s Basic Personal Amount ( $13,808 for 2021). 

In addition, you also can claim the Caregiver Amount if your dependents are eligible.

There are some exceptions for claiming this credit, you should check Exceptions to Eligibility from our TurboTax article.

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.