Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending 2023 tax return for missing 1099 interest - missing option

Edit: I figured out how to input the 1099 interest, submitted the fed amended return via Turbotax. Which should hopefully all be sorted. 

However, the turbo tax calculations now shows I should get a $1 refund from CA. When I looked at the saved amended return PDF there was no CA option. I'm not inclined to pay over a $1 to mail my CA return for that potential $1 credit back from CA. And from my google searching, Treasury direct bills that I bought are only taxable for Fed and not State taxes. So assume the $1 is just a TurboTax rounding error and can ignore? 

-------

I didn't realize that Treasury Direct does NOT mail their 1099. Just logged in and found $80 in interest on a 1099 form on their website.  My return has already been accepted, and I have received a refund for CA, payment has been pulled for Fed return. I've amended returns in the past, but not sure where to enter this 1099 Int form. 

When I go to my desktop app to amend my 2023 return, I only see the following options W2, 1098, 1099-R, 1099-Misc... but NO 1099 Int as an option. 

Question is should I be doing something else to enter this missing 1099 interest amount, or just pick 1099 Misc and put the amount of interest into that section? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

what you do depends on how fastidious a taxpayer you are, how much afraid of the IRS you are and

what you think of the extra tax on $80 dollars

@Cat_Sushi 

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

To enter your 1099-INT, try the following steps:

1. Open TurboTax Desktop.
  2. Click on the magnifying glass at the top right of your screen.
  3. Type in 1099-INT.
  4. Click on Jump to 1099-INT.
  5. Continue through the screens. 

@Cat_Sushi 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

to add information or reply with another question please use the reply button.

Don't edit your original question; that just generates mass confusion.

@Cat_Sushi 

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Your interest should be subtracted on Schedule CA, Line 2, column B. Per the 540 Instructions, if you filed federal Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, file an amended California tax return within six months unless the changes do not affect your California tax liability. You can disregard the 540X.

@Cat_Sushi 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Did you print out the 1099 from the Treasury?  Did it show the amount in box 3?  When you entered it did you enter it in box 3 (not box 1).  Then it won't be taxed on the state return.   You have to check the little box under box 1 that says my form has more boxes for it to open up.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies