Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I thought a percentage of my moving expenses would be deducted on my NYS return, but I am not seeing it. Is it included?

Can I deduct moving expenses for my job on the New York state return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

I thought a percentage of my moving expenses would be deducted on my NYS return, but I am not seeing it. Is it included?

New York State maintained the moving expense deduction.

Moving expenses are no longer tax deductible for federal tax purposes for most Americans. In order to deduct any moving expenses on your federal tax return, you must be an active member of the United States armed forces (or a dependent or spouse) and the expenses must be related to a permanent change of station. 

You can deduct your moving expenses on your New York tax return. Here is where to enter that:

1. Login and continue your return.
  2. Select State from the left side menu.
  3. Click Continue.
  4. Click Continue or Edit to the right of New York.
  5. Keep going until you get to the screen with Changes to Federal Income at the top.
  6. Scroll down until you find Other changes (adjustments) to your federal income under Other New York adjustments to federal income.
  7. Click Start to the right.
  8. Click Continue.
  9. About halfway down the Other Subtractions page, you will find Qualified moving expense reimbursements and moving expenses. 

To review the rules for figuring your deduction, click here. Look at S-135 on page 12.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies