Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1095-A percentage allocation

I file as an HOH and have one minor child and 2 adult children under age 26 who are no longer dependents but are on my Marketplace Health Insurance.  I received my 1095-A and it lists all 4 of us as covered and there are figures in column C.  I am trying to determine what % of the Premiums, SLCSP, and Advanced Credits I should assign on the 3 separate tax returns.  From what I read, we can agree upon any % as long as the 3 add up to 100% on all 3 areas.  I have 2 questions, one, does the % have to match in all 3 columns (example: 33% for premium, 33% for SLCSP, and 33% for APC), and am I allowed to put 0% on my tax return and then split it 50/50 on their returns to allow them to get the benefit of a larger tax credit than if it was put on mine as I make much more money then they do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Yes to both questions. The percentages must be the same across all columns and yes, you can assign the percentages any way you want across the returns. You can claim zero percent and give the two 50/50 each.

Thank you for the quick response!  I wasn't sure if I had to claim some percentage because I was the one the 1095-A was listed under.  This is very helpful! 

I read the Q&A above regarding entering the same percentages on all three fields. I have the same situation; my wife and I have our 18-year-old who is not a dependent anymore on our Marketplace H/I. I know it was confirmed above, but I do want to make sure because I was doubting myself and I am considering upgrading to the live assistance just to make sure that I enter the correct information. For example, I would enter 66%,66%,66% on my tax returns and my son 34%,34%,34% on his tax returns? All three fields must have the same percentages?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

No, you can't take 0%.  You should divide it per individual, so 50% to you and 25% to each of the other two.  

@Apicozzi27 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies