Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Used car

I purchased an old suv so I can go and buy product to resell. Can I use sec 179 to write off the purchase?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
David_EA
Expert Alumni

Used car

Yes, as long as a vehicle is new-to-you and not purchased from a family member, you should be able to claim all or part of the vehicle using the Section 179 deduction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
RossP88
Expert Alumni

Used car

Hi! I am a TurboTax Live CPA. You will be only able to use Section 179 for new property to the business so it is possible to use it if you acquire a used vehicle. That being said, given the lower basis generally of a used vehicle it would be wise to make sure that 179 will result in the biggest tax savings since you would have to forgo the standard mileage rate. 

Used car

Thanks David. 

Used car

Wait another tax expert said yes I can and now you say no. @RossP88 @David_EA  Which is it?

David_EA
Expert Alumni

Used car

Generally speaking, the Section 179 tax deduction applies to passenger vehicles, heavy SUVs, trucks and vans that are used at least 50% of the time for business-related purposes. For example, a pool cleaning business can deduct the purchase price of a new pickup truck that is used to get to and from customers’ homes.

Millions of small businesses and solo business owners use small vehicles on a daily basis. These include passenger cars, crossovers, and small utility trucks. Small vehicles that weigh under 6,000 pounds have a Section 179 deduction limit of $10,100 in the first year they are used, and $18,100 with bonus depreciation.

If the vehicle is not used 100% of the time for business, the deduction allowance is reduced proportionately. For example, if a florist purchases a van that is used 50% for business purposes, the limit is $5,050 ($10,100 x .50).

HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

Used car

@RAKB02  To clarify further on what @David_EA  and @RossP88  said above, the vehicle just must be "new to you" or new to your business to qualify for Sec 179 treatment. For more details please see, What is a Section 179 deduction? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies