Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FernF
Returning Member

Home office deductions and when to issue 1099-NEC

Hi,

I am recently self-employed and have a home office. I have deductions for my home office including ongoing cleaning, one-time landscape repair, and ongoing landscape maintenance  expenses. In order to legally deduct these items as part of my home office expenses, do I need to issue a 1099-NEC to the cleaners and landscape maintenance people? What about for my landscape repair? I had a huge drainage and water damage issue affecting my home right underneath my home office that needed repair. Do I need to issue the repair company  a 1099-NEC as well if I am going to include this in my deductions? Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

No 1099s are needed if you get company receipts for the payments. 

FernF
Returning Member

Thank you for the prompt reply! I’m not 100% confident I understand your answer. Company receipt meaning if I issue a company receipt or if the company I hired issues me a receipt? Please rephrase and clarify for my novice brain can understand. Thank you!!

JandKit
Employee Tax Expert

Hi FernF,

Just a follow up to the above answer may be helpful to you. The 1099 NEC is enough in this case. A more pressing interest will be the area of the office that is being used. TurboTAx requires that you show the ratio of the office to the home as a fraction. If the damage is directly to the office, then 100% of the amount is deductible. If the damage is not a directly expensed to the office, then only the ratio of office divided by the entire home is allowed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you hire a plumber to fix something in your home and you pay them then THEY issue you a receipt for the payment they received.  

David_EA
Expert Alumni

Hello FernF! I'm an Enrolled Agent with TurboTax Live. The need to issue a Form 1099-NEC depends on a few different variables. You'd issue a Form 1099-NEC to anyone that worked for you as an independent contractor and that the independent contractor was paid more than $600 aggregate for the year. If you hired a separate company to do your cleaning, landscaping and maintenance then that would NOT require a From 1099-NEC. If the people you hire are independent contractors and work directly for you and not another company and were paid more than $600 aggregate then YES you'd be required to issue a Form 1099-NEC. For more information on the Form 1099-NEC, please visit: https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/self-employed/what-is-the-form-1099-nec-48549/ 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
FernF
Returning Member

Thank you for the reply. Yes I would only deduct a portion/percentage of the expense based off the square footage of my home office since the repair affected the entire home - thanks to TurboTax for helping figure all that out! Thank you again. 

FernF
Returning Member

This is excellent. Thank you for the detailed reply!!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies