Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Income above retirement

• Having retired and now receiving Social Security plus pension, etc., I still have additional income from private practice, which I understand I have to pay SE on even though I receive SS. How much (or percentage) income tax and self employment tax should I plan for? 
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
marctu
Employee Tax Expert

Income above retirement

@Bryan Douglas  thank you for the question and congratulations on your “working retirement”.   Ultimately, you will pay all the taxes from your private practice when you file your taxes next year.   Since you did not say how much your income is expected to net from your private practice, I would suggest that you may want to make estimated payments of taxes to both the Federal and State, if your state has an income tax.

Much of this would depend on  both the amounts and the withholding of taxes from Social Security and your pension, though let’s do a quick example of income from your sole proprietorship.  For every $1,000 of net income, you would need to pay Self-Employment taxes of 15.3%, plus federal taxes, which range from 10% to 37%, and state taxes potentially as well.  Taking the lowest percentages, the tax would be 26.3%.   The tax bills could be significant, so you want to get out ahead of this and estimate what your net income is and make estimated payments.  There is nothing worse than an unexpected bill. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies