Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Claiming a Capital Loss

My college aged daughter did not receive a W-2 in 2023, but received a 1099-INT, 1099DIV and 1099B. In 2023 she had a Captial Gain/Loss of -$8000. 1) Can I file taxes for her if she didn't receive a W-2? 2) If she doesn't file taxes this year can she still claim the loss in future years?  Thanks for the assistance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Claiming a Capital Loss

No, if your daughter is your dependent, she files her own return claiming the interest income. 

If there is any loss carry-over, she will get the loss carryforward. 

She needs to select "Yes, someone else can claim me" and "Yes, someone else will claim me".

You cannot claim her loss on your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Claiming a Capital Loss

Thanks KrisD15. This will be the first year she is filing taxes, so does it make a difference if I claim her as a dependent since I no longer itemize (I take the standard deduction)?  Appreciate any and all assistance!  Thank you. Robbie29

nishamarshalll
Returning Member

Claiming a Capital Loss

Hello

Yes, even if your daughter did not receive a W-2, you are still able to submit her taxes. You can report her income using the details from the 1099 documents she received.
Your daughter can still use the capital loss to offset capital gains in subsequent years even if she chooses not to file taxes this year. It's crucial to confirm, nevertheless, that she satisfies all conditions in order to be eligible to submit a capital loss claim in the future.

Regards

Nisha Marshall

Prestige Camden Gardens

Manage cookies