maglib
Level 11

Education

@morganigeis3  Indiana Rules on who is a Resident:

Full-Year Residents

You are a full-year Indiana resident if you maintain your legal residence in Indiana from January 1 through December 31. You do not have to be physically present in Indiana the entire year to be considered a full-year resident. Residents, including military personnel, who leave Indiana for a temporary stay are considered residents during their absence. For example, visiting your out-of-state relatives for a couple of weeks each year won't impact your Indiana residency status; you're still a full-year resident.

Full-year residents must file Form IT-40 for a Indiana Full-Year Resident Individual Income Tax Return.

If you are retired and spend the winter months in another state you may still be a full-year Indiana resident if:

• You maintain your legal residence in Indiana and intend to return to Indiana during part of the taxable year;
  • You keep your Indiana driver's license; and/or
  • You keep your Indiana voting rights.

For example, Tom and Jane stay at their Florida condominium from Nov. 1 through March 1 each winter, and return to their Indiana home the rest of the year. Since they didn't take steps to become Florida residents (such as registering to vote in Florida, getting a Florida driver's license, etc.), they are full-year Indiana residents for income tax purposes.

Check out the IT-40 instruction booklet for more information.

Students away at school are normally considered residents of their parents abode and college is considered temporary until you have made a decision where you permanently live.  As you didn't change your voting or your DL, you did not take the needed steps to change residency.  you are in a grey area of residency unless you changed.  DId you vote in 2023?  If you mailed in a ballot or voted in IN, think of that decision.  Where are your financials?   Decision is yours based on what you know but, don't make the decision because no income tax in FL, make it based upon facts and circumstances.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.