Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

A k1 contains line 11A "Net IRC Sec 988 Gain". TT supports REMIC (income/excess/sec212), Other schedule E page 2, or other entered elsewhere. How should this be entered?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

A k1 contains line 11A "Net IRC Sec 988 Gain". TT supports REMIC (income/excess/sec212), Other schedule E page 2, or other entered elsewhere. How should this be entered?

This is from TurboTaxRonnel from 4 years ago, but it's still valid:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4729541

That hyperlink is dead.  Where can I find the answer to the question?  Thanks. 

CL2
Level 2

Dave - did you get an answer? I have the same question. Thx

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Section 988 gains from foreign currency transactions are normally treated as ordinary income.  You can accomplish this treatment in TurboTax by entering the amount as "Other portfolio income (loss) to be reported on Schedule E, page 2" on the "Enter Code A Detail" screen that follows the entry of your box 11 code A amount (K-1P Addl Info Wks in Forms mode).

See this AICPA article on Section 988 gains at this link for more information about reporting Sectio....

See this link for IRC Section 988.

@CL2

[Edited 6/26/2020|11:11am PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, but . . .  my partnership K-1 Box 11 Code A includes 2 component amounts: Other Portfolio Income and IRC Section 988 Income/Loss (foreign currencies).  However, TurboTax does not have the capability to report more than one Code A amount in the Code A Detail Screen. 

TurboTax Help instructs to manually add the second amount to the schedule where you want to report the income, which would be Schedule E in this case.  But, Sch E expects to receive data from other forms and worksheets and it doesn’t accept manually entered data. You could override the protected field on Sch E to enter the data. But if you override Sch E, then TurboTax can’t electronically file the return.

I called TurboTax Support and got this workaround (which works).  Create a second duplicate K-1 for this partnership to enter only the Section 988 loss. The second K-1 needs to have Part I filled out completely (identical to the Part I in the first K-1), type of activity, and then only the Box 11 line A amount for the Section 988 loss. Therefore, reading these two K-1's together, the first K-1 reports all of the data on the original partnership K-1 (including the Other Portfolio Income amount in Box 11 line A but not the Section 988 loss) and the second K-1 has only the Section 988 loss.

Using this workaround, the Other Portfolio Income amount and the Section 988 loss from this partnership will appear on Sch E as separate line items, but that's OK.  In my case, the Other Portfolio Income amount was a gain and shows up in Sch E column k, and the Section 988 amount was a loss and flows to column i.

I urge TurboTax to add the capability to report more than one Code A amount from a K-1.  And Bob's your uncle.

<<I urge TurboTax to add the capability to report more than one Code A amount from a K-1.>>

I totally agree with this suggestion. What a pain in the a$$ to create an additional K-1 just to enter one line of info. It would also be nice if you could duplicate the Part 1 info of a K-1 (I have a company that requires 4 (err, now 5) K-1s. Pretty tedious to keep entering the same Part 1 info for each.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies