Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I receive a 1099-misc from the UAW FCA FORD GENERAL MOTORS legal services trust...when i enter that...turbo does not know how to deal with it

this income reflects a benefit for GM retirees...
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PattiF
Expert Alumni

I receive a 1099-misc from the UAW FCA FORD GENERAL MOTORS legal services trust...when i enter that...turbo does not know how to deal with it

To enter the 1099-MISC as other income, not self=employment income, follow these steps:

1. In the Search box type "1099-misc" (without the quotes), then click the link that says "Jump to 1099-misc."
  2. The first screen asks "Did you get a 1099-MISC?" Click Yes.
  3. On the next screen enter the information from the 1099-MISC form, then click Continue.

TurboTax will now ask a series of questions about the 1099-MISC income. Answer as follows, even if some of the answers aren't true.

• "Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC." - Enter a short description such as "retiree benefit." Click Continue. You will see this description used in some of the subsequent questions, but it will not appear on your tax return.
  • "Does one of these uncommon situations apply?" - Select the last choice, "None of these apply," and click Continue.
  • "Did the contract fee involve work that's like your main job?" - Select No and click Continue.
  • "How often did you get income for retiree benefits?" - "I got it in 2022" will already be checked. Don't check any of the other boxes. Just click Continue.
  • "Did the retiree benefit involve an intent to earn money?" - Select No and click Continue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

To enter the 1099-MISC as other income, not self=employment income, follow these steps:

1. In the Search box type "1099-misc" (without the quotes), then click the link that says "Jump to 1099-misc."
  2. The first screen asks "Did you get a 1099-MISC?" Click Yes.
  3. On the next screen enter the information from the 1099-MISC form, then click Continue.

TurboTax will now ask a series of questions about the 1099-MISC income. Answer as follows, even if some of the answers aren't true.

• "Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC." - Enter a short description such as "retiree benefit." Click Continue. You will see this description used in some of the subsequent questions, but it will not appear on your tax return.
  • "Does one of these uncommon situations apply?" - Select the last choice, "None of these apply," and click Continue.
  • "Did the contract fee involve work that's like your main job?" - Select No and click Continue.
  • "How often did you get income for retiree benefits?" - "I got it in 2022" will already be checked. Don't check any of the other boxes. Just click Continue.
  • "Did the retiree benefit involve an intent to earn money?" - Select No and click Continue.

i was able to successfully enter the other income section, after clearing the first attempt and then only checking the box that says i received the other income in 2022.  With my first attempt, I had checked the box that i was also expecting to receive this benefit again in 2023.  I believe that is what messed it up.

Tsmccaslin
Returning Member

Turbo tax free automatically jumps to upgrade page! I can't enter info without upgrade?

Unfortunately, free edition does not cover

Situations not covered:

• Itemized deductions
  • Unemployment income reported on a 1099-G
  • Business or 1099-NEC income
  • Stock sales
  • Rental property income
  • Credits, deductions and income reported on other forms or schedules (for example, income related to crypto investments)
Tsmccaslin
Returning Member

It's a 1099-misc, not self employment, needs to go on schedule 1. Can it be entered manually in free edition? Or do we all need new program?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies