turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deposit a joint tax return into my individual bank account

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Yes, for the federal return.

When filing a Married Filing Joint (MFJ) return the IRS allows MFJ refunds to be direct deposited into accounts in your name, your spouse’s name or both (joint account).

However, rules vary by state and financial institution; to be sure, verify with your financial institution if they accept joint refunds into individual accounts.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

I've seen comments here, in this forum, of that being denied by the bank

As have I, so check with the bank.
Culchie23

That was the case for me. Did they change that policy this year ?

Culchie23

Not true in my case. 

Can I deposit a joint tax return or stimulus package in to my individual account 

@Hamidhashemi wrote:

Can I deposit a joint tax return or stimulus package in to my individual account 

If both names are attached to the payment then the bank account for deposit must also have both names on the account.

The IRS has no restrictions ... they will try to send the DD to the account you list..   It is the BANK that may have deposit issues so check with your bank. 

dpal
Level 1

My wife and I both have accounts with SANTANDER, yet they refuse to deposit our validly co-signed fed refund check into my wife's account.  Even with me standing  there with 2 forms of ID (plus my bank checks).   FORCED us to open joint account (which may have unwanted ramifications on our Calif tax return with respect to my earnings otherwise not subject to Calif tax).   Filed complaint with state banking board, as others should do when banks exceed their authority under the banking regs.   Easy, online

If you open a non interest bearing  account for the sole purpose of cashing this refund check the immediately move the funds to another account  then there will be no fed/state issues at all on an income tax as there will be no income to report. 

dpal
Level 1

Eh, the issue really is huge inconvenience for no benefit.  Bank has no benefit-  either way I am standing there with ID, so bank does not gain additional security that a divorcing spouse will not sue bank for improper cashing of his share of check.  I gain negative benefit because it took 25 minutes for him to set the account up, both of us had to be there, and tells me we both have to be there again for him to close the account.  Besides, now I have joint account with wife who works in Calif and this could expose my separate accounts (with huge cap gains this year) to be exposed to Calif 9% tax.   It's complicated, and banks shouldn't force me to do something that is contrary to regs and really gives them no benefit anyway, more than just a demand that the spouse with ID stand there and direct the funds into a single account.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies